Give us an audition that we can showcase, that we can go...Wow! that was Excellent! Our client is going to Love us! They are going to LOVE this performance! YES!!!
It may not be a perfect audition, but we will have felt a connection with you. And if We are all hummin' and jazzed up, so will the Director, Agency and Client be. So...how does that magic happen?
While there are definitely no guarantees or perfect auditions, but here are some excellent shiny sparkly tools for you to take with you into that room!
1) Listen carefully to what the Casting Director or Director is asking you to do. You would think this would be a given! …but surprisingly, many actors don’t listen to the direction being given them, frustrating the director and missing their golden opportunity to shine! So Listen. Adjust if you need to. We LOVE it when an actor follows direction! This means you will Also be able to follow direction on the shoot!
2) Be willing to improvise a little…to give the scene your own little twist while staying true to the script and the writers words. Something a little unexpected at just the right place is Fun to watch…a grin, a well-placed pause. Sure, give us a safe take or two, but then have a little fun with it…give us something different than everyone else. Something to show us that you bring a lot to the table that we can use come shoot day.
3) And this is almost in the same vein…but be willing to take a little risk…don’t be afraid to look silly or to make a mistake. Sometimes that is where your magic will show through! You don’t want to be a total nutbar, but don’t take yourself so seriously that you have no sense of play. The client wants to work with actors that are easy and fun to work with! And again, it shows us that you will have more than one version to deliver on the day. Oh! And one more thing.
It's way Way WAY more fun to watch you when you are having fun! Leave us with a smile and you'll be smiling too!
4) When you go into that room – Have your Game on! – Leave whatever else is happening in your life outside that door and bring your very best self to the process. Focused. Engaging. Relaxed. Ready!
Outside the room:
5) I think one of the best things a commercial actor can do is to be Loose – and to get comfortable getting loose, Improv classes reign supreme. You will get comfortable getting silly. You will discover your strengths and weaknesses by trying and messing up as well as having brilliant moments that will astound you. All excellent building blocks for confidence and a less fearful approach to your audition. Less fearful = more confident. Confidence trumps tentative. Confidence gives you a definite edge.
6) Practice! In whatever way you can, you need to continually work on your craft. You need to put in the hours. More hours means you will have a greater arsenal to pull from. Workshops, Theatre. Think of every audition as a workshop …a chance to hone your craft in front of an audience. Experience = Confidence = your Trump card!
7) Know your strengths…have that talk with your agent. Do you have the Mom or Dad look? What age/demographic do you best represent? Are you a comedian? Professional type? Fitness freak? Know what types of auditions you should be going out for, make sure you and your agent agree – so that you are going out for roles that suit you and you have a better chance of landing. Then dress the part…let us See you in that Role. You ARE that guy/gal!
8) Know that Commercial casting is basically a lottery! Your audition is your ticket to play. Get in there, give it your best shot and walk away! You could have an Amazing audition…where everyone thought you were fabulous – but you just weren’t right for the part. Or the specs changed. And Often, THAT is the best approach…just not attaching yourself to the outcome. It gives your performance a certain ease and comfortableness…a professional calmness that is wonderful to catch on camera. That right there is your best shot!
If you have any other questions, I would Love to hear them! Please post below & I will definitely get back to you!
Your questions help us all, 'cause we are all in this together!
Happy auditioning everyone, and keep the faith!